Shek Tong Tsui : A Former Nightlife Kingdom
It was a long lost history when the Hong Kong government relocated brothel dwellings from Sheung Wan, Sai Wan and Possession Point to Shek Tong Tsui in 1903, until the cinema classic -- Rouge(1987) featuring Leslie Cheung and Anita Mui, recreated the places’ exotic pasts. The industry peaked with over a hundred of brothels conglomerated at the west side of Shek Tong Tsui. Within the many brothels, 20 of which reached the height of 3 to 4 stories, with more than a hundred of prostitutes at service per building. Despite sexual services, brothel guests also enjoyed feasts from nearby grand restaurants (also translated as Wineshops). Shek Tong Tsui West thus entered its sensational era, thanks to the agglomeration of the popular brothels and restaurants.
The four most renowned brothels were situated in the vicinity of Hill Road and Queen’s Road West. Brothel workers adopted a complex division of labour -- not all brothel workers were prostitutes. Sex workers only counted up to one of the many kinds of occupations in the area. There were ‘madams’ -- women who run the brothel, and up to four or more types of servants and even ‘PR practitioners’. The rest of the workforce included prostitute-to-be musicians and ‘secretaries’ from declined wealthy families. With everyone working according to their positions, Shek Tong Tsui West maintained an epoch of startling nightlife.
Visit wetoast.com for further information. (Only available in Chinese)